10.15.2008

A little slice of home, here in Texas

So my dad has this recipe for Pinto Bean Pie. That's right, that was not a typo. The pie is actually made of pinto Beans! Though it doesn't really taste like it. Some people call it Mock Pecan Pie. Anywho, our ward was having a big chilli cook-off and pie baking contest, so mark thought it would be a great idea to "combine the two" and enter a pinto bean pie! We didn't tell anyone what they were eating till after they ate it. But sadly we got gipped! The missionaries were the judges and they didn't think too highly of my pie! Mark peeked at the score sheet and i got a 2.8!!!! Were these missionaries offspring of the Russian Olympic judges??!! But all was not in vain. There were a few friends who were visibly impressed! So here are some pics of Sarah and i making my very first Pinto Bean Pie. It turned out pretty good if i do say so myself... :)

my first batch of beans!!!


Sarah was soooo excited!



cracking the egg...


and pouring it in...


are you ready for the finale? is the anticipation killing you?



Ta DA!!! isn't it beautiful? i was so very proud of it, but no one appreciated it as they should... sigh.

8 comments:

Melissa said...

Wow! I am quite impressed! First, you have updated your blog several times since my last visit. And second, I am impressed by your Chef Elizabeth and Sous-chef Sarah cooking experiment, documented step by step here. Pinto bean pie sounds pretty gross to me, but I'll take your word for it. Guess what? i move in 2 weeks!

Michelle said...

Oh Elizabeth what a cute little Mom you are! This is your long lost roomate Michelle (Andrus) Hill-- I found you on Andrea's blog--email me and I will invite you to mine . . . (shellebelle_30@hotmail.com)

Anyway so fun to see what you are up to :)

jjstringham said...

Hey! You have a blog! Yay!

And as for the pie - I'm imagining refried beans in a pie shell. Please tell me it tastes nothing similar. :-P

Michelle Claire said...

Hey, it looks good! I'm sure it tastes great too! :) Looks like it was fun to make anyway... I have been too chicken to try too many cooking projects with my children. Shame on me, I know... I'm working on it.

Sunny Days said...

Hi Elizabeth! I "found" your blog off of Melissa's ... looks like you are doing wonderfully, not to mention that your girls are ADORABLE!! Would you mind if I add your blog to my list so I can keep up with your latest adventures? Surely you haven't the time with the little ones and all, but if you're ever looking for more reading material, you can find mine at: www.alannar.wordpress.com Good luck with all the new adventures ... be well!

Restless Mama said...

Elizabeth! How is life going for you my dear? How's Texas? Congrats on your two little girls and your bun in the oven. Do you know the sex yet?
What have you been up to?
Not sure if you know but I just gave birth to a little boy on Sept. 20th. His name's Aidan and the love of my life!
Would love to hear from you- check out my blog if you'd like or e-mail: aljolynnsperber@yahoo.com
xoxoxo

Kacey said...

Hi there! Did Mark get a job in Texas? Are you there for a while? We are living in Renton for now- we've been here for about a year. Congrats on #3. It will be fun for your girls to have a little brother :)

The Clifts said...

Elizabeth-- I found your blog through Melissa's. It was very entertaining. :) So exciting about having a boy! I love seeing how beautiful your girls are. (And you too, of course!) My blog is at thecliftfamily.blogspot.com, well, that's the link anyway.